I WAS A BABY BEFORE I WAS A CHILD!

 


I was a Baby before I was a Child

I was conceived in blood, and born in blood, from embryonic blob into a full-blown baby: I kicked, splashed and metamorphosed into human shape with every turn, joyously accompanied by my playful giggling.

For nine long months, Mother Nature was dressing me up and preparing me for a lifetime of “who knows what” in this sin battered world.

I was born perfect, a bouncing baby without complications or any physical impediments: Mom was happy to hold, kissed and cuddled me like mother bear enviously protecting her cub.  

I stared around with my eyes rolling and scanning everything that surrounded me, like a spy camera over the watchtower. Everything I saw didn’t make sense to my empty brain. I laughed, smiled and talked with walls and ceilings. They seemed to be the only things ever before my tiny eyes.

I loved the daylight that came with every passing day, and still enjoyed the light that enabled me to see my ever-constant friends, in walls and ceilings. For some unknown reasons, I hated the darkness falling over me every time the candle was put out at night. I’d start kicking and crying, and Mom would confuse my irritation with darkness as with my hunger. Somehow a full tummy didn’t calm my fears: closing my eyes became my only weapon against facing this horrible darkness: I’d sleep.

Then came those wet and sticky nights! Could someone please, land a helping hand to this poor baby? I’d kick and scream my lungs out till Mom woke up and washed me clean. Gee: people don’t have a clue just how much Babies love the freshness of being clean!

Hearing different sounds was music to my ears and, picking up different scents, intriguing as it was mystifying! A human smile and loving eyes; were the first things I learned; safety and comfort between my Mom’s breasts was my fortress: it was like sleeping under a waterfall. I was fulfilled and happily loved!

Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months; months turn into years!  More than a year later, my younger brother was born. I got kicked out of my Mom’s Nest and made way for him to take my special place. This felt like being kicked out of Mom’s womb, twice; even though I still qualified as a baby: my time was up!

Many impossible things like crawling, rickety stand-ups and fluttered baby talks, were expected from me! Challenge, challenge, every single day became a challenge to grow up and do something I’d never done before or even imagined.

After all I’ve been through in this life, and in this hectic World: I would give God the World, only if He had kept me intact as a Baby without growing too big for my Fantasy World

Knock! Knock! Whose there? I yelled. Come in if you please, door is open! And in with a wry smile, the mail man hands me a telegram to sign: It’s for you, Sir, he quips! I sign, hand back his retain slip and he sheepishly says; Have a good day, Sir! I node him goodbye.

I nervously open the letter and it reads.. Dear Sir, you owe the Bank a sum of 500000 in bonded loans and, must be paid in full within 30 days! I slumped back into my chair and stare at these walls and these ceilings which once were my thrill when I was a Baby: but now turned into my prison cell, by age!

Now I think I understand what Apostle Paul meant, when he said these immortal words. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Perhaps you wonder how in the world do I remember all that happened to me as a Baby? Well: (chuckles)! It’s not me but the Baby in me who remembers! I’m sure the Baby in you agrees with me too!

I’m going to say a Baby’s Prayer now! Oh Lordy Lordy…just why did you allow Time to steal our Baby World? Look at us now Lordy, there’s nobody to take care of us in this Old and Grey World! Dear Lordy, why did You let our Baby World Die? These tears Lordy!  Wow.. I miss Mom!


Poem Written By: Sydney Pikelela Gutyungwa
Copyright © May 2017


Comments

Post a Comment

The author would really appreciate your constructive comments based on how you understood and interpret each poem. Poems can mean different things to different persons and all views can be correct as long as they conform to the contents thereof. This is the beauty of Poetry.

Please Do Not Forget to FOLLOW ME in order to get Instant Notifications When Latest Posts are published.

Popular posts from this blog

MY BABY.... SHE'S ALL I GOT!

IN PURSUIT OF A DREAM!

THROUGH HER EYES!