BARABBAS: THE GLORY OF SHAME!


REFLECTIONS 

Just when I thought I got my composure back in its place, the Spirit more often than, whispers to my heart. I've had a very busy Easter week after spending two full consecutive days writing and only afforded to retire at 01:00 AM each day. 

Every time I feel the need to write a story song, common sense dictates I become that character in every sense of the word. 

I was traveling in a bus this Easter when suddenly, the story of Barabbas hit me. I tried to push it away but, NO! I believe the Spirit whispered to my still small voice. I had to comply. 

The following narrative is the product of that struggle I had in the bus with the Spirit demanding I put this in writing. 

The story of Barabbas has been told in many different ways. The most prevailing notion is that Barabbas was nothing but just a dirty rober. 

Would you believe it if I told you, I had to delete no less than eight paragraphs during my time of writing this piece? These stanzas had lots of information on how Barabbas and his freedom bandits targeted and killed Roman soldiers. 

I changed my course since it would have led to a much longer narrative and I preferred a short one instead. 

In my outlook, you may disagree with it: and it's okay. Barabbas didn't mock Jesus when he was released from his death row. Instead of celebrating, the man had to look deep into his connection with God. 

Jesus changed the life of Barabbas forever without even opening His mouth. His grace-filled eyes gave Barabbas cold shivers and convicted the former defiant struggle resistance champion. 

It is always better for me to be messed up by God in a good way. I must tell you, God walked me through this one. I even forgot I was in a public space as I continued to write even in a taxi. It was pure joy to feel like Barabbas! 

God richly bless you, 
I value every second of every minute of the time it cost you to read my thoughts and words! 

THANK YOU!! 

PLEASE FORWARD AND SHARE.. 


Barabbas: The Glory Of Shame!

Hello. I am Barabbas the Notable Prisoner who stood trial shoulder to shoulder with Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Even to this day, it still feels cumbersome for me when I come to think of my jail time under the Roman authorities. I had resigned myself to death.

Looking back as I reflect to our struggle days, I can still see how marauding we were at best of times when we’d kill the whole Roman Battalion in one ambush.

Just how I got dragged into the spotlight to stand trial, shoulder to shoulder with the Son of God; is way beyond my imaginations!

Jesus Christ, inarguably, the Greatest Human Being and God-Man known as the Son of Man and Son of God!

My fate as a struggle and freedom activist had already been decided by our Roman Occupiers. We got our marching orders to the gallows!

It was just a matter of time and days before our executions were carried out. Somehow as luck would have it, the ongoing feud between King Herod and governor Pilate increased our survival and lingered indefinitely.

You see, my boys and I were finally caught by the Romans after we ran amok on the killing spree. We used to ambush the Roman soldiers and killed them dead for taking our land.

It was hard for me to justify the greed these Romans had, they travelled over 3,513 km from Rome to Jerusalem: just to oppress our people.

By this time in our Jews History, Jerusalem had already been occupied for over 600 years minus the 430 years in Egypt.

I cannot tell you much about Jesus the Galilean since I was already in jail by the time the Nazarene opened His mouth for the very first time on the streets of Galilee.

From that time Jesus began to Preach, and to say, Repent: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

This I heard and learned later from the mouths of His one hundred and twenty Disciples who had gathered in the Upper Room before Christ showed up after His Resurrection.

Oh how sweet these words sounded in my ears! I felt so new like a newly born baby!

I know it’ll be hard for some people to believe that even though I stood side by side with Jesus.. The Man never said a word to me!

For once and just once, our eyes connected as the Son of God graciously smiled, as if to say:

Do not fret Barabbas, tonight I am giving up my freedom for yours! Barabbas I am taking your place by going to the gallows of the Cross for you!

From this day onwards Barabbas, God is calling you to suffer persecutions and to follow the trail of My Cross into God’s Kingdom.

There’s No Greater Love and no greater struggle for a man to be prepared to die for his friends

Barabbas I’ve seen these qualities in your heart. Barabbas, Your love and sacrifice for your people is what my Disciples are made of!

I believe Jesus whispered these words to my heart even as the sinner I was, after taking countless lives of the Roman soldiers.

Hello. I am Barabbas, the glory of shame. I was never given time to kiss the feet of Jesus after my release.

Overcame with mixed emotions, my whole body became numb. There were only two people in the world that evening, Jesus Christ and Barabbas.

I couldn’t stand and witness another flogging of Jesus by Pilate as I dragged myself outside into the dark and waited.

I tried to sleep after following Jesus up to Mount Calvary but my heart?

It was the glory of shame on my side when the whole world was covered in darkness for three hours.

The Heavens were weeping the Glorious Death of the Lamb of God.

Jesus was crucified for raising the dead. I stood in His shadow and was saved from the gallows!


Barabbas Narrative Written By: Sydney Pikelela Gutyungwa 
© April 07, 2023 
Featured Title Song: Let's Get Close
From The Title Album: Above The Clouds
Smooth Jazz Artist: Brian Simpson 
© 2007


ALL COPYRIGHTED MUSIC VIDEOS USED IN THIS BLOG ARE NOT MONETIZED BUT USED ONLY TO HIGHLIGHT AND ENHANCE READING: POEMS, ESSAYS AND NARRATIVES OF THE AUTHOR. I DO NOT OWN ANY MUSIC COPYRIGHT: ALL VIDEOS ARE USED WITH DUE RESPECT TO THE ARTIST




 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY BABY.... SHE'S ALL I GOT!

IN PURSUIT OF A DREAM!

SO, YOU THINK YOU HAVE A COVENANT WITH GOD?