Walking Inside My Shadow!

 

Walking Inside My Shadow!

They say a dog is a man’s best friend! Well, I do not know about everybody else, but in my world, a cat makes up for a best friend! Different strokes for different folks are my overall take on life.

Sometimes my likes could be someone’s dislikes, hence it is always hard to generalize for other individuals. Yes, walking inside my own shadow is the proficiency into which I was born.

When I was a young boy, I enjoyed choosing friends I had to play with every single day. Life as a boy almost felt like a servant waiting to conduct all my orders.

Waking up each day was just a matter of kicking my blankets, running out and finding the sun and day saying, hey Syd, where have you been, let us go play! Walking inside my own shadow has never been a reality when I was growing up.

Living inside the mix of all the crowds deceived me into believing people cared! The raucous noise and all this commotion giving me all the wrong signals that made me think life was happening right under my feet. Looking for company and hunting for security within my peers became the order of the day.

They say in youth we walk in groups, in middle age we walk in pairs and in years, we walk alone! The greatest killer amongst our senior citizens is nothing other than the gruesome lonesomeness. This self-inflicted pain always leads to mental sickness and even suicide in extreme cases! What happened to living inside one’s shadow?

Life has taught me to always be on the lookout, do a 180-degree check and see if my shadow was still walking alongside me. Tell you what, my shadow never let me down once. When I was happy or sad, my shadow always stuck with me.

People come and go out of your life others even pretend as if they have never seen you before. Growing up an orphan taught me to leave inside my own shadow! Why pretend to be happy when you are renting friends to boost your social image?

Every weekend you would see a string of cars parking in front of this fool’s house, and you would go… wow, this person is famous! Well, if only you will know. Like the prodigal son, these guys spent a fortune just to keep these bunch of leeches they call friends.

Just let him hit the tough times and watch the same fake friends desert him like rats running out of a burning house! They all but disappear in one day as if the word got around about their broke friend. We never learn anything in this life, the prodigal son at least, came back to his senses and remembered where he came from.

Without looking back at your own footprints and calculating all the distance travelled in the wrong direction, your perils continue unabated! I dare you to learn to be intimate with your own shadow, just live as if you were the only human being in this world! Never count on so-called friends.

Your sobriety and peace of mind all depend on how you relate and balance yourself on the scale of this dog-eat-dog life. Keep your distance and always be ready to withdraw before you bruise your head. Hey, people do not really care, even your best friend will ditch you in the hour of your greatest need! 

People even believed raising our own kids will work out to our benefit when we old and grey, this turned out to be nothing but daydreaming. You raise your kids to be about themselves and to pursue their own world.

I never count on my kids to reach out to me in any way and most importantly, I never begrudge them. The bitterness of the heart is always the rottenness of the bones. A man’s wrath never works the righteousness of God therefore, put away all bitterness from your heart.

Walk with God every day. Your shadow says you will never walk alone. Stop whining, live inside your own shadow! Living inside my shadow is how I survive daily! The homeless and ordinary people are all my friends!


Living Inside My Shadow Written By: Sydney Pikelela Gutyungwa
© November 09, 2022
Featured Title Track: Here We Go
From The Title Album: Ladies Choice
Smooth Jazz Artist: Paul Taylor
© 2007


DISCLAIMER

ALL COPYRIGHTED MUSIC VIDEOS USED IN THIS BLOG ARE NOT MONETIZED BUT USED ONLY TO HIGHLIGHT AND ENHANCE READING: POEMS, ESSAYS AND NARRATIVES OF THE AUTHOR. I DO NOT OWN ANY MUSIC COPYRIGHT: ALL VIDEOS ARE USED WITH DUE RESPECT TO THE ARTISTS IN FAIR USE MANNER!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY BABY.... SHE'S ALL I GOT!

IN PURSUIT OF A DREAM!

SO, YOU THINK YOU HAVE A COVENANT WITH GOD?